Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 305,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet Your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, machine learning is one of the most important teams we are growing. Machine learning is starting to transform our product through personalization, driving major impact across different parts of our platform including newsfeed, notifications, ads relevance, connections, search, and trust. Our machine learning team is lean but hungry to drive even more impact and make Nextdoor the neighborhood hub for local exchange. We believe that ML will be an integral part of making Nextdoor valuable to our members. We also believe that ML should be ethical and encourage healthy habits and interaction, not addictive behavior. We are looking for great engineers who believe in the power of the local community to empower our members to make their communities great places to live.
The Impact You’ll Make
Join us and be part of the hyper growth team!
As a Senior/Staff Machine Learning Engineer on the Ads Machine Learning team at Nextdoor, you will have a unique opportunity to build all optimization engines from the ground up with the state-of-art technology. You will work to advance both your technical and ads domain expertise across ads targeting, bidding, pacing, pricing and delivery optimization areas and beyond.
We are looking for a driven and entrepreneurial individual who is passionate about advertising products and making a significant direct business impact. You will have the chance to take ownership of large-scale projects and lead a team of talented machine learning engineers, data scientists, and software engineers to deliver innovative and cutting-edge solutions.
Successful candidates will exhibit technical depth, strong product sense and business savvy, with a passion for making an impact through timely execution. If you're keen on building and scaling machine learning products, have a passion for advertising optimization products, and enjoy making an impact through timely execution, we want you on our team!
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- You will work on cutting-edge machine learning models and infrastructure to improve the targeting, ranking, serving, targeting, conversion optimization, and measurement of ads for millions of users
- You will have ownership over large-scale projects and drive innovation in the ads relevance domain
- In addition, you will have the opportunity to lead XFN collaboration with a team of talented machine learning engineers, data scientists, and software engineers, providing mentorship and guidance as they develop and implement new solutions
- You will also stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in machine learning and advertising, and apply this knowledge to continuously improve our ads system
As a company that values learning and growth, we are committed to investing in your personal and professional development. You will have access to resources and mentorship that will help you expand your skills and expertise. At Nextdoor, we believe that great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone, and we encourage our team members to bring their unique perspectives and ideas to the table.
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- B.S. in Computer Science, Applied Math, Statistics, Computational Biology or a related field
- 5+ years of industry/academic experience of applying machine learning at scale
- Experience building ML models for advertising products is a huge plus
- Expertise in ads ranking, ads infrastructure, targeting, pricing, pacing and measurement is a huge plus
- Proven engineering skills. Experience of writing and maintaining high-quality production code
- Experience in running online AB experiments to measure impact of model ramps
- Proficient in working with and analyzing large amounts of data
- Ability to succeed in a dynamic startup environment
Compensation, benefits, perks, and recognition programs at Nextdoor come together to create one overall rewards package.
The starting salary for this role is expected to range from $180,000 to $268,000 on an annualized basis, or potentially greater in the event that your 'level' of proficiency exceeds the level expected for the role. Compensation may also vary by geography.
We also expect to award a meaningful equity grant for this role. With equal quarterly vesting, your first vest date would be within the first 3 months of your start date.
Overall, total compensation will vary depending on your relevant skills, experience, and qualifications. We have you covered! Nextdoor employees can choose between a variety of great health plans. We cover 100% of your personal monthly premium for health, dental, and vision – and provide a OneMedical membership for concierge care.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.